Going by price per data (GB), Swift is the winner. For each similar bundle plan, Swift's is cheaper than Spectranet's and way cheaper than Smile's.
Only Smile's N19,800 unlimited plan can be considered a rival. And that's if you don't mind the speed cap/limit of 4mbps for the first 100GB data usage, 2mbps for the next 100GB and 512kpbs for the rest of the month, then it might be your best plan. Currently, it is what I am using. I just got Smile two weeks ago and I have tried out its 5GB plan that gives you extra 5GB night data. Now I am on the unlimited plan and it seems to be doing great despite the speed cap.
Below is Spectranet plan:
|Plan Name||Plan Cost||Plan/Data||Additional Bonus||Validity||Access|
|Unified Value 7GB||N5,000||7GB||Nil||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Value 15GB||N7,000||15GB||Nil||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Value 25GB||N10,000||25GB||*Free Unlimited Night browsing||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Value 55GB||N20,000||55GB||*Free Unlimited Night browsing||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Value 110GB||N40,000||110GB||*Free Unlimited Night browsing||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Value 200GB||N70,000||200GB||*Free Unlimited Night browsing||Monthly||24 x 7|
|Unified Nite Value 20GB||N7,500||20GB||Nil||Monthly||7pm – 7am|
|Unified Nite Value 40GB||N11,000||40GB||Nil||Monthly||7pm – 7am|
|*Free Unlimited Night browsing between 1am - 7am|
*All Nite Plans have 24 hours access on weekend and Public Holidays
Below is Smile data plan:
- N1,000 for 1GB with a 30 days validity and 2mbps cap
- N3,000 for 3GB with a 30 days validity
- N5,000 for 5GB with a 30 days validity
- N9,000 for 10GB with a 30 days validity
- N17,000 for 20GB with a 12 months validity
- N19,800 for unlimited plan with a 30 days validity and speed limit of 4mbps for the first 100GB, 2mbps for the next 100GB and 512kbps for the remainder of the month
- N36,000 for 50GB with a 12 months validity
- N70,000 for 100GB with a 12 months validity
- N135,000 for 200GB with a 12 months validity
With the exception of the unlimited plan, Smile has got the most ridiculously expensive data price. Glo most be smoking them out even it those states they've got coverage advantage over Spectranet and Swift.
Below is the Swift data plan:
- N500 (Swift Budget) for 750MB with 7 days validity
- N2000 (Swift Budget Plus) for 3GB (don't know the validity period but will assume it's also for 7 days)
- N4,000 (Swift Economy) for 6GB (should be for 30 days validity)
- N7,000 (Swift Essential) for 30GB with 30 days validity
- N10,000 (Swift Club) for 50GB with 30 days validity
- N15,000 (Swift Premium) for 65GB with 30 days validity
- N20,000 (Swift Elite) for 100GB with 30 days validity
- N25,000 (Swift ElitePlus) for 125GB with 30 days validity
Smile is the winner for coverage. It is in the most number of states in Nigeria and even within Lagos there are many places only Smile works.
After Smile is Spectranet. But if you plan going beyond Abuja and Port Harcourt then Smile is a better choice. Forget about Swift for beyond Lagos.
For speed, I think it is a tie between Swift and Smile. I have done speed tests and Swift has the highest speed among them all in the places it works very well. Smile ties with Swift because it's speed is also high and more consistent than Swift.
And that's my practical comparison among the three major 4G internet providers in Nigeria.