Here's how I take down the habits I want to quit (the ones that cooperate) --
- I study the habits: I try to understand why I do it and when I do it.
- I think of something weak -- a placebo -- to replace the habit with.
- I give my self a goal, e.g. not to do the habit for the next 7 days. Then as the deadline is almost arrived, I extend it and extend. And extend it.
- I sometimes break the habit into actions that I break free from one at a time.
- Whenever I flop, I simply start all over. I never blame myself or feel sad. I simply tell myself that it's ok and I should try again.
- I only give up after lots of trials and I feel the pain is not worth the gain.
- I often celebrate my success.