I think there are three ways you can live your life:
- Safety First way. You try as much as possible to avoid risks and you follow well-worn paths to a life of acceptable comfort.
- Money First way. You always go to the highest bidder. You don't care much about your true passion nor the people you work with, the moment you see a better paying opportunity you leave.
- Passion First way. You care more about doing only the things you enjoy. You find it hard to do things you don't have passion for. You place passion for what you do over money and safety.
- Start by reading about all the people who followed their passion and made it. Read stories that will inspire you to start on that Passion First path.
- Start it gradually. Don't suddenly jump paths. Start doing what you are passionate about part-time. Do it until you have physical proof that you can live on what money it's making you.
- Be tolerant to failure. Don't take your mistakes too seriously. It is what will set you apart from others. A professional is one who has made a lot of mistakes and because of those mistakes has become extremely good at what he does.
- Be creative. Read wide. Interact with people in your field. Try out new ideas.
- Be extremely hardworking. This is the most important piece. Hard work creates its own luck.