And the coolest part was that they kept saying I'm sitting on a pot of gold. I'm the third ever MVP from Nigeria, one of the only 2 who are still MVPs (one was dropped), and the only Excel MVP in Africa. And they would like me to help build a strong Excel community in Nigeria and Africa.
But those were the sweet parts of our meeting.
A little dive into what I'm currently doing revealed mistakes I'm already making, which they were kind enough to let me know.
- I'm doing this at a hobby level. If I'm going to get anything meaningful done, I need to be well branded as an industry professional and with all the required paper work and brochure.
- Flyers don't fly. Nothing can take the place of good old face-to-face meetings and cold calls.
- I'm going too solo. I should partner more with other organizations, professionals and MVPs in and outside Nigeria.
- I should stop ignoring Fate Foundation. I should at least volunteer as a trainer on business productivity boosting via Excel. (If you've got some advice/experience regarding this, please help a brother)
- I should stop thinking narrow. (I guess they don't know how hard it is to think big when you are 7 months away from starvation). Nevertheless, I need to think BIG.